Friday, July 18, 2008

25th Annual Sweets Festival of Japan

Friday, May 2, 2008

When we arrived here in Himeji, we saw signs for a countdown to something. After asking a few people, we learned that in April and May the 25th annual Sweets Festival was coming to Himeji. This event circulates around Japan and this was to be the first time in Himeji.

When I heard that Chacha's visit would overlap, we decided to wait till she was here to go.

Prior to going we had heard from several people that the festival was backed and the lines were LONG.

Our first line took us into a candy area where you could play games (if picked) and get some free goodies. There were also displays to look at.

Meiji is a big candy maker here in Japan. This face is made of different candy bars.
Tower made of chocolate
A company mascot

one of the games we did not get to play. They only opened the lines every 45 mins and if you missed it you had to wait again. I think they did this to encourage people to leave the tent so more people could come in.
Potato mascot
Another mascot
Candy making demonstration both
The we wondered around for a bit more before making it to the main attraction. We were told that in the main exhibit hall, you could see the Himeji castle made from sugar. So we found the line and waited about 2 hrs. Mitch and I took turns taking the kids around while the others waiting in line.
As we approached the main door, there was a sign that said "No Pictures". I was a bit mad as we had waited for so long. So I decided to turn off my flash and take a few pictures. Sorry that they are not perfect... Remember everything in the display is made from sugar

Eagle and tree limb


Another bird

This is one of the castle walls with a tree limb and bird
colorful bird
I guess I didn't realise so many were birds



Beautiful bird with snow on the ground
water fall with autumn colors. I think this one and the Himeji Castle wall ones are my favorite
This was an aquarium one
Alice in Wonderland
Wedding cake with Alice theme

and the long awaited Himeji Castle. My picture SUCKED! so I borrowed this one from Rob. He is here from Australia. You should check out his blog at http://robwalkerpoet.blogspot.com/



Once we were out side again walking around we found some photo opportunities.
Chef RJ
Chef Chacha
I guess it was a long day for Sara
Not only can Mitch ride a bike with 2 kids, he can do it one handed while propping the head of our lovely daughter. Thanks Mitch for being such a great dad/husband/friend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who is Chacha?