Monday, March 03, 2008

Hina Matsuri

Recently I was invited over to our friend Chiaki's house. I have been waiting patiently for this invitation as she has been telling me about her Hina dolls since last fall. So last Wednesday I was finally able to go over. We had planned for Mitch and Sara to join us, but Sara went down for a late nap so it was only I who went. When I arrived at Chiaki's house, I could tell she was very excited to have invited Sara because she had out cute little slippers for her. I felt bad, but we still enjoyed our visit.



When I entered her living room, I was so surprised.






She had put out a beautiful display of her daughter's Hina dolls. On the top you have the prince and princess (some say queen and king). The next row is the 3 lady maids for the princess. The 3rd row is 5 musicians who play pretty music for the princess. The 4th row is 2 warriors to protect the princess. The 5th row is 3 cleaners who keep the castle clean. The 6th & 7th rows contain the dowry of the princess. I was very intrigued by all the detail that has gone into this arrangement.


I have spoken with several other mothers here in Japan and they tell me that this set of dolls is purchased for their daughter shortly after her birth. It is hers to take with her when she marries. There are smaller sets (do not include all 15 dolls) that are less expensive. I might go looking for one for Sara.



I know that I have not give a great justice to this great event, so if you would like to learn more about the Hina Matsuri check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinamatsuri

No comments: