Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A New Year

Today is the first day of a new school year. I recently asked one of my co teachers "why does the Japanese school year being in April?" His answer was that everything begin anew on April 1st because that is when the cherry blossoms bloom. I thought that was a strange reason, but let me tell you. Being here and seeing the cherry blossoms in person, it is beautiful!! I can see why they think "life" begins in April.

But for those of you who are tired of the photos, never fear...the blossoms will fall off by the end of this week, so you won't have to look at them anymore after that....

On my way to school this morning, I noticed this cherry tree has already started to lose it blooms. Click on the image to see it bigger. You can see the bright green leaves that will cover this tree soon.





As I said, today was the first day of school for Himeji High School. Each time a new term starts, the students are assembled in the gym for an Opening Ceremony. I usually stick my head in for a bit, but it is all is Japanese so I don't understand anything. Today I took some pictures. This is only the 2nd and 3rd graders. The new 1st graders will have their our welcome ceremony this afternoon in the performance hall.





The students stand in this straight formations while the speakers on the stage change. The ceremony usually lasts about 45mins to 1 hour. I can't imagine this happening America. The kids were never last.





Of course after the ceremony, the students do not have class. They have cleaning time. So while they were cleaning, I went upstairs to my classroom to do some cleaning. I also went up there to take this picture of Nagoyama Cemetery. If you remember back to November(I think) I took a similar picture with the fall leaves. I guess the beautiful colors are natures reward for surviving hot summers and harsh winters.


After I cleaned my room a bit, I headed outside to say hello to some of the students. I found this droopy cherry tree. I thought it was pretty since the petals are a brighter pink.

Just to forewarn you, there will be 2 more cherry blossom posts on my blog. One of the night time lights and one of our BBQ on Sunday with some friends.

Have a great week!

No comments: