Thursday, December 13, 2007

Birthday Celebration

It seems that my birthday has started a bit early this year. On Tuesday, I received a package from my friend Tracy. She graciously agreed to send me some things I am missing as well as a few things for the kids for Christmas. A box of Bisquick was at the top of my list and the highlight of my week. She also included some packets of Hot Apple Cider mix and hot chocolate with mini marshmellows. I am in heaven as I sit here enjoying my drink. And hopefully Mitch will make the much anticipated sausage gravy and biscuits for me for breakfast SOON!

On Tuesday night, Mitch and I got a babysitter (actually 2, thanks Heather and Sara) and we headed out to dinner and off to Kobe. Every year since the big earthquake in 1995 which killed 6000 people, the city of Kobe has had a lights display (luminaries). It was very beautiful to see and experience this event. Mitch will write more about it on his blog.

The highlight of the night for me was finding a bottle of Pepsi. You see in Himeji, even though there are vending machines on every street corner, there is no regular Pepsi. They have Pepsi Twist or Pepsi Nex. But no regualr Pepsi. Those of you who know how much I don't like Coke can appreciate how wonderful it was to find a bottle of Pepsi. Now to clarify, I have had regular Pepsi since I have been here. There are a couple of resturants that have 'drink bars' and they have Pepsi, but when you just want a Pepsi, you don't want to have to drag your whole family off to a resturant. I was thinking of asking my mom to bring me a couple of bottles with her when she comes, but then Mitch had to go and ruin it for me by reminding me that she can't carry more than 3oz of fluids in her carry on luggage. So you can imagine the delight when walking around all the vendors in Kobe and coming across a bottle of regular Pepsi. I only got 1 bottle as it was 300yen (about $3) for a 20oz size bottle。And yes I am saving it for that one night when I really want a Pepsi and I don't want to have to drag my family off to a resturant.

The flowers in the picture are from my classes at Shogai University. One class had a end of year party/birthday party for me on Wednesday and gave me the beautiful flowers. My other class presented me with the wonderful plants (the one on the right) along with a couple of gifts for the children for my birthday/Christmas. I felt very honored that they did this for me.

No comments: