Thursday, January 24, 2008

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

For those of you unaware of the fact that I was born in raised in sunny Phoenix, Arizona, this might come as a shock to you. I GOT TO SEE SNOW FALLING FROM THE SKY TODAY!!! I was in 3rd period with one of my 1st grade classes. My Ayukawa was helping to explain the difference between a living room and a family room (we are learning the parts of a house) and I got so excited and started telling everyone "Look, Look, it's snowing" They all got a big kick out of it. I had to explain that I have seen snow on the ground and played in it, but I have never seen snow falling from the sky. They all thought it was great that I was so excited.


Later when I mentioned it to another teacher that it was snowing earlier (of course she didn't see it) she wanted to know why I was so excited about it. I explained once again that it does not snow in Phoenix. Then she was happy for me.

Today's weather is very cold. It is only 6 degrees Celsius but it feels like -2 (which translates into 43 degrees F but feels like 29 degrees F). It snowed earlier this week on the outskirts of town so I took pictures of the far away mountains.

This is east of our apartment across the field behind the university


This is north east of our apartment. If you remember the blog about the sea of houses, they are on the left edge of this picture


This is the snow on Mt. Shosha as seen from my classroom.

Since I was in class when it was snowing I didn't get pictures, but I did go for a walk outside today (I need to ramp up my exercise since the weight loss has plateaued). Like my new warm coat. I also have new warm gloves and Kelly's wonderful Ugg boots that she so graciously let me bring to Japan (Thanks Kelly!)

Sorry the picture is blurry.

I managed to walk for about 45 mins. I was listening to a taped sermon from church back home. Captain Ron was so kind as to send us the sermons and I enjoy listening to them. It was nice to "hear" everyone from church. I really miss church as we have not been able to attend here on a regular basis.


1 comment:

Mrs. Buv said...

Wow! Your blog is exciting and so is your hubby's. I have a blog too that I share with Randi. I am excited to read yours as I am too chicken to try anything like this! Oh and maybe if you would have gone to a good university, namely NAU, you might have seen snow fall more! :)

Richelle