Monday, February 04, 2008

Fun with Kendamas

We were invited to another welcome party put on by the neighborhood community center after the new Australian ALTs arrived in January. They had one for us when we arrived in September of last year. As we enjoyed the last party, we were very excited to attend this party. We were told that we would learn calligraphy and how to play with some Japanese children's toys.




The calligraphy turned out ok. Mitch got the easy names to write (Mitch and Sara). I had to write Merry and Robert which were each many more characters. But I think we both did ok.

This is Mitch and Merry

This is Robert and Sara (there is a painting of plum blossoms in the middle that I received from one of my students at Shogai (Kozo is his name))
After that we went back upstairs to learn how to play Kendama (Japanese traditional ball and cup game).








Mitch has taken a great liking to this Japanese toy. He purchased one for the family at the end of the party and he has played with it everyday since. Here is a quick clip of him performing. Sorry that is is once again sideways. Mitch is too cheap to buy the software that will let me turn the video and as you can hear Sara in the background (we had some issues with bedtime recently) he had a hard time concentrating and would not do it again for me so I could turn the camera.









RJ and Sara REALLY like the kendama and want to play with it often. Did I mention that it is a HARD wooden ball attached by a long string to a wooden handle. Well, I am sure you can imagine what happens when they try. RJ gets frustrated (the string is too long for him) and starts swing it everywhere so I had to take it away from them. I told my Shogai students about this and wanted to know where I could find a softer one (like a sponge) and lo and behold, Miho showed up at class with Mitch that evening with 2 children's kendamas. Thanks Miho!! The kids love them!!!







Sara is demonstrating how important the knee bending is for this game.




Nice form Sara!



Yea!! You caught it!!





She is taken the ball back out to start over


Trisha was over and RJ was kind enough to share his so she could give it a try. Trisha was VERY excited to get the ball in the big cup, so excited she almost jumped out of the picture frame.





RJ gave it a good go. He is still practicing so he can show everyone when he gets back to Phoenix.





Nice job RJ!!





Thanks Miho!! (I believe her children helped to make them as well. You will get to meet them in March when we go to Nara with them to see the Apricot trees).


Hope you are all looking forward to getting a kendama when we return!!

No comments: